The tale of three cinematic aficionado's judging all things Hollywood while consuming more popcorn than humanly safe.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Actor Profile: Angelina Jolie

So, I've never written something like this before, & I wasn't entirely sure what it should include. But I decided to have it be my opinions on a few of the person's movies & not much of their personal life (not that a celebrity's personal life is as private as a normal person's, it's more of a career life & public life, but you know what I mean). If you would rather I have a different format, like you have any criticisms or comments, just let me know & the next time I write a profile, I'll fix it.


Angelina Jolie

By: Nicolette Karter

 

        I love this lady. She is an amazingly talented actress, not to mention a good person, with all of the humanitarian work she does across the globe. {She recently got The Academy’s Do-Gooder award (not the actual name) for all of her work helping those in need.}

        But we are here to talk about her movies. Now, she’s done a lot, I mean I haven’t seen everything, so out of the ones I have seen, I’ll talk about five of them. Not necessarily my 5 favorite or most well-known or ones she got awards for, but some that I like (& have seen) & think she did a good job with.

        First up: Mr. & Mrs. Smith. This is one of her funnier roles, which aren’t as common for her as action-y or dramatic roles; it’s a shame because she’s pretty funny. That said this is primarily an action movie, seeing as the premise is about a married couple who find out they married an assassin. And a rival assassin at that. She obviously plays Mrs. Smith, opposite Brad Pitt’s Mr. Smith; they met on the set & now have 6 kids & are engaged. I really love this movie, partly because it manages to have several genres tie together so well, a quality I like in movies (when they pull it off). It’s an action movie about assassins, a romance about a couple who try to figure out their feelings about their spouse when a big secret is revealed, yet it accomplishes this with wit.

        One of her much less light-hearted roles is as Lisa in the critically-acclaimed Girl, Interrupted, for which she won a SAG, Golden Globe and an Oscar. It’s about a group of women (mainly Winona Ryder’s Susanna) in a psychiatric hospital during the 60’s. All the acting in it was great, but her work was phenomenal, she deserves all those awards. It might make you cry, or you might be heartless, but it’s one of those movies that are supposed to strike a chord with you in some way or another, especially because it’s a true story.

        Hopefully not a true story is Angelina’s movie Taking Lives. Not that serial killers don’t exist; it’s just that this bad guy is so good at his (job? No; passion? Hobby?) killing that it’s scary. Scary good though, especially in this movie where Ethan Hawke comes forward with information about a serial killer that Angelina Jolie is helping the police track down. The twists & turns in this are amazing, and one of my favorite psychological thrillers. Plus, for a serial killer movie, there were some missed opportunity for blatant gore, which some people may not like but anyone who’s read other horror-esque reviews of min now I’m a chicken when it comes to grotesque horror movies.

        Another thriller, but with less horror and more romance, is Original Sin, costarring Antonio Banderas & Thomas Jane. A wealthy single man (Banderas) decides to marry a plain American woman he knows through an ad in the paper, but finds she’s gorgeous (I mean, she’s Angelina, just look at her) & becomes putty in her hands. Unfortunately for him he lives in a thriller & no one is who they say they are in the beginning of this kind of movie, so she deceives him. She takes all his money (which was a lot) & leaves him heartbroken, so he decides to find & kill her. This is movie about love, & it’s rated R, so I would recommend not watching this with your parents or on a first date. Things can (& probably will) get quite awkward hint, hint.

        In the Land of Blood and Honey isn’t starring Ms. Jolie, but it was both written & directed by her, so I thought I should add it. I’m not a huge fan of war movies, but I thought this looked decent (& honestly I was curious about how she would do writing/directing). And I think she did an amazing job with it. It’s about the Bosnian civil war, mostly centering on 2 people on opposite sides who loved each other before the war, & still do, despite impending death & destruction looming over them. It was really well done, especially for her directorial debut. Being in the business her whole life, she probably learned a few things along the way, but still great for a first effort.

        Anyway, I think she is an amazingly talented actress, not to mention so beautiful (& that’s coming from another girl. If junior high taught me nothing else, it’s that I should hate her for being prettier than me but I just can’t).She could have just coasted by on her good looks, but no, she puts her best foot forward in her career, humanitarian work, & personal life. A good person and actress all the way around; good for her. What do you guys think of her? And if there are any other actors/actresses you want me to write about, just let me know.
Here are trailers for all the movies I just reviewed, though please note that the trailer for Girl, Interrupted is misleadingly funny. The actual movie isn't as funny overall as the trailer, so know that now:
 
^ Mr. and Mrs. Smith
^Girl, Interrupted
^Taking Lives
^Original Sin
^In the Land of Blood and Honey
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment