The tale of three cinematic aficionado's judging all things Hollywood while consuming more popcorn than humanly safe.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Voice week 2

Welcome Back
The Voice’s second week
By Valyrie Mia Stone.



Popcorn that magically gets better with age.

I was wrong about The Voice. I honestly thought it was beginning to slowly drift away. But just when I was beginning to lose hope, The Voice makes a comeback before it even started sucking. I love you, The Voice. You’re so cool. I was going to give you 5 stars, but I like being the father that will never be proud of you. You got all A’s on your report card? Hmm, the Smith’s boy got all A+’s.

Anyway, welcome back home without even having  left.

So, Monday’s show really got me hooked. I mean, this season is still sort of accidentally dedicated to good voices not attached to star personalities, and there were still plenty of those, but still. Most of them were just mediocrely impressive, such as Brian Scartocci, who looks like Stanley Tucci impersonating Chris Daughtry and working as a day manager for Best Buy.

But there were some real talents, and a lot of potential. First off, there was Kelly Crapa (Do not make a joke about her last name, must not make a joke about her last name…). Now I’m not the biggest fan of country music, by which I mean it has no place in existence as far as I’m concerned, but she was good, and she looked like Ashley Greene. Not that that effects her voice, I just wanted to share my thoughts. There was also Alessandra Guercio, who I easily could have hated, but I don’t. She’s one of those people who is really, unashamedly confident, so some people think she’s conceited. Now, she may be conceited, I can’t tell yet, but I don’t think so. And her voice is beautiful, aside from the terrible song choice. She should sing Somebody That I Used To   Know set just to her voice and dramatic harp playing. That would be really amazing. Paulina was another one of those that they rushed through, but go listen to that clip of her on iTunes. Right now. Go. Good, right? She has so much potential. I am really looking forward to seeing what she does next.

And then there was Melanie Martinez. Melanie “Foot Tambourine” Martinez. Melanie “Daphne Guinness Hair” Martinez. She sounds like a haunting Minnie Mouse, and it’s not just the bow in her hair. I hope she wins, I really do. I would so buy her album if she made one. I would love to hear her do Smooth Criminal. But, really, she could sing me the Atlanta Phonebook and I’d be happy. Wow, just wow.

Speaking of “wow”, there was Nicholas David. First off, I automatically don’t like people with 2 first names. Second, he looks like a methed-out Santa. I was like, wow, anyone this weird must be able to sing. Nope. All the back-ally-behind-a-Toys-R-Us-drug-dealer with none of the talent.

There was also that Cupid guy. If he had done a slow version of that song, just to piano, or even a different song entirely, it would have been good. Nice try, honey.

And then there was Beat Frequency, who did E.T. Before their performance, I hated them. They are weird, and she so soooooo shot out, it’s ridiculous. But their voices, together, were amazing. I’ve never really like the duo’s, but they may just go far.

At some point, they showed a clip of Christina Agulera’s new single “Your Body”. It’s a little slow for her, but really good. Looks like The Voice isn’t the only one making it’s way back home. Welcome back, Christina, welcome back. We’ve missed you.

The second episode of the week was a little more mundane, but I’ll probably think that of every episode that doesn’t heavily feature Melanie “Cutest Tooth Gap Ever” Martinez. Seriously girl, I love you. No one was bad, no one was exceptional. I look forward to seeing what they do, though.

All this said, Blake is getting on my nerves. You're on my list Shelton...

So far, the ones I’m really watching for are Melanie “Best Toxic Remix Ever” Martinez, Paulina, Lisa Schinta, MarissaAnn, Beat Frequency, and Alessandra Guercio. Bryan Keith will go far, but he won’t win.

Also, I know last week, I lumped The Voice and The New Normal together. For The New Normal, I would give it 4.5 stars still. So cute. I love it. No critisizms.

Look out for Anatole's first post on tonight's Emmy's. He'll be putting that up soon after it...

                                                            -Kisses, V.


P.S.-How many times can you put Melanie “Everyone Else Can Go Home Because You Will Win” Martinez’s Toxic on repeat before it stops being socially acceptable?

No comments:

Post a Comment