The tale of three cinematic aficionado's judging all things Hollywood while consuming more popcorn than humanly safe.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Julie & Julia

Julie & Julia
By: Nicolette Karter

        Meryl Streep is so funny, & I love both her and Amy Adams, who play Julia Child & Julie Powell respectively. The basic premise of this is Julie is lost & obsessed with Julia Child, so she decides to write a blog about her adventures following Julia Child’s cookbook in the hopes of both finding herself and getting published.
        The movie switches between Julia Child’s life & Julie Powell’s, which kind of mirror each other. Meryl Streep’s impersonation of Julia Child is hilarious, without even meaning to be. She got an Oscar nomination for her role in this, which makes sense because she did a fantastic job, and she did a good job at playing a real person (vs. a fictional character), which almost always gets some kind of recognition. (See Robert Downey Jr. for Charlie Chaplin in Chaplin, Meryl Streep for Margret Thatcher in The Iron Lady, etc….) I thought all the acting was excellent, and while I haven’t read the book, I enjoyed the movie & would assume they stayed true to it, especially seeing as one of the women it’s about is still alive & so obsessed with the other that she wouldn’t let them wrong her.
        One thing I hate about movies about food is that then I get really hungry, & nothing in my kitchen is as good as what they are having on the screen. On the plus side it sometimes makes the popcorn I’m eating (if I’m having some at the time) taste better somehow. Probably psychosomatics, but that’s beside the point.
        So, if you’re in the mood for a feel-good cute movie (more geared for women, so maybe for a girls’ night), I would recommend this movie. I would also recommend having some kind of delicious food to eat while watching it. But tell me what you think of this movie, & if you get hungry watching food-related movies. Also tell me if you have any movie review requests, I’d be happy to post a specific one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment